Thursday, May 8, 2008

New Service Ops.

Hey Gang.

Our next gathering is just around the corner. We'll meet again at Common Roots at 7 PM on Tuesday, May 20.

Between now and then - actually up until June 9 we'll be collecting used or new telephones and answering machines for the Simpson Shelter. Here's some info. from their website.

Simpson Housing Services is moving women who have experienced many years of homelessness into housing. We can hook them up with reduced rate telephone service, but we do not have telephones and answering machines. You can coordinate a drive for gently used telephones and answering machines. We are looking for simple and basic equipment that is clean and in good working condition.

Sounds easy enough right? Well, let's start getting the word out. Bring in any phones or answering machines you collect to our next gathering at Common Roots or drop them off at Lake Harriet UMC (4901 Chowen, Mpls.).

I'm also looking into other service opportunities for our group. One option that I'm excited about is doing some tutoring for children. We'd be helping them with their homework and also some basic computer skills. I'll keep you posted on that. In the meantime, spread the word about the phones and answering machines and I'll see you on the 20th.

No comments: